Thanks a lot for your response Jeremias. I have now done the following:

- Added 'void warnRevision3PermissionsIgnored(Object source);' (and its
javadoc) to PDFEventProducer in the org.apache.fop.render.pdf package and added
a corresponding entry to the xml. Removed the
org.apache.fop.pdf.PDFEventProducer class and xml.
- Created org.apache.fop.pdf.PDFEventListener interface containing just 'void
warnRevision3PermissionsIgnored(Object source);'.
- Created PDFLibraryEventAdaptor in the org.apache.fop.render.pdf package that
extends the PDFEventListener. (Currently just contains my new event. Should I
also add the existing 2 render.pdf events to this class?)

 I can also see how to obtain the PDFDocument object from the
PDFEncryptionJCE class via the getDocumentSafely() method. But I am not sure
how to get the event broadcaster from that object. How is this done?

Thanks!

-Mike