On 18/06/13 06:46, Glenn Adams wrote:
> Is there a reason FOP doesn't use ICU for determining line break
> boundaries? The FOP implementation of UAX14 (org.apache.fop.text.linebreak)
> seems to be out of date and basically unmaintained. According to [1], a
> number of Apache projects are using it, including PDFBox, Xalan, and Xerces.

I think the main reason in the past has been the size of the ICU4J jar
compared to FOP’s own jar:
http://markmail.org/thread/krkqlircefpuxlse

I guess the topic could be revisited today. We could consider adding it
as an optional dependency, or acknowledge that full Unicode support is
taken for granted nowadays and use it by default.