On 02/06/02 5:00, "ewitness - Ben Fowler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 8:08 am +0100 6/2/02, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>> Last september it has been decided to drop JDK 1.1 support mostly out of
>> performance reasons. Almost every reasonable platform has a Java 2
>> implementation available today and there are not many projects left at
>> Apache Foundation that still support JDK 1.1.
>
> My 'platform' is a slot loading iMac.
>
> It should be a general goal of Open Source projects to be backwards
> compatible. My understanding is that it should be possible to
> use a tool like ant to extract a Java 1.1 subset.
It is possible but it means that you're trading features for compatibility.
The things that come to mind the most are vectors and collections at this
point... As Keiron Lidle mentioned in another message, the source is
available. You can only be so backwards compatible.

> I would like my product to support Mac and Windows systems from
> 1998 on, on the basis/functional specification that my product
> (of which FOP is only a part) should be installable and usable
> on all Macs of the same age or newer than mine, and Windows with
> a suitable version of Java installed. It is also my understanding
> that the latest version of Blackdown java is 1.1.8, exempli gratia
Blackdown released a 1.2.2 version and a 1.3.0 version. If that won't work
then you can get to the Sun page and download anything from 1.2 onwards. I
understand the issues with Apple's MRJ but that shouldn't be a limiting
factor for development.

> Of course I am not sure that ant runs on the classic MacOS, so
> I am dependant on my finding myself a linux machine to generate
> the sources. I will do this, I just don't have the technology at
> present. There again I am not certain that ant doesn't, as it is
> possible that one of the many projects called JShell, I think this
> one <URL: http://homepage.mac.com/pcbeard/JShell/ >, will run ant.
According to the Jshell page it does come with Ant included, YaY!!!!

>>>          2. keep-with
>>
>> That's probably something that has to be adressed in the redesign
>> because as far as I can remember this was one of the reasons the
>> redesign was started in the first place. I'm sure you can help in that
>> corner.
>
> I am listening out for any info on this, but it seems that this
> redesign is something that only the inner circle can do...
The inner circle is always open to proposals and contributions.

--
Carlos E. Araya
---+ WebCT Administrator/Trainer

email               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web                 http://www.cvc1.org/ (work)
                    http://www.silverwolf-net.net (personal)
phone               408 257 0420 (work)
PGP Fingerprint:    E629 5DFD 7EAE 4995 E9D7  3D2F 5A9F 0CE7 DFE7 1756

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons....for you are crunchy and  taste
good with ketchup and mayonnaise.."