Thanks Chuck, I see I can actually use your workaround to go straight from
XML-PDF with XMLSpy. But my problem right now is I can't even get XMLSpy to
run FOP on an FO file that I know works. I just get that same error every
time. (Regular XSL transformation works fine by the way.) I keep thinking
there's a space in my file path or something, but I can't find any. I'll let
you know when I figure it out.

By the way I was working on this because I wanted to get your markers
example going. I finally just did it on the command line. It looks pretty
cool. I'm trying to figure out if I can use it to solve my adding
'(Continued)' to table headers problem or my spearately numbered sub-section
problem.

Too bad markers totally broken in .20.3rc. Apparently we're lucky to have
them in .20.2. Maybe I'm just crannky today, but does it seem to anyone else
like FOP is going backward a little? Between breaking existing functionality
on a minor bug-fix build, tacking on a big logging package that throws
errors if it's not happy, and a redesign release date sometime in 2004 if
we're lucky, I'm starting to wonder. I realize it's free and all. But unless
FOP was never intended as anything more than an exercise in architecture,
there has to be an end user in mind at some point. Even a whiny pain in the
rear like me :o

I'm 99% sure there is a huge corporate demand for an FO-PDF engine right
NOW. Those guys at RenderX are nice but unresponsive, their product is on
par with FOP at best, and the're too busy to breathe selling $5k/CPU
licenses!

I'm about ready to quit and starting working on one myself. Anyone who knows
the PDF spec inside and out and can live off savings or credit cards for 6
months is welcome to join.

Matt Savino
Senior Systems Analyst
Quest Diagnostics Clinical Trials