Oleg,

Thanks for the reply!

At 10:36 AM 11/27/2002, you wrote:
Clay Leeds wrote:

I didn't find this answer in the archives. I'd like to pass an xsl:param value to FOP. Is this possible? I found some information about doing this through the use of a servlet, however I'm using *.BAT files (under Windows) & *.sh scripts (in *NIX). I'd like to be able to pass xsl:param or xsl:variable values, to effect output.
You cannot do it using a command line fop.bat/fop.sh. But you can write your own script, where first invoke xalan to transform xml+xsl to fo, see xalan documentation how to run it from command line[1], and then run FOP in -fo mode.
[1] http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/commandline.html
--
Oleg Tkachenko

I'll try this. Unfortunately, at this time, my clients are already complaining about how long it takes to output using FOP. Here's the info from FOP's debug mode:

[DEBUG] Initial heap size: 1828Kb
[DEBUG] Current heap size: 7003Kb
[DEBUG] Total memory used: 5174Kb
[DEBUG]   Memory use is indicative; no GC was performed
[DEBUG]   These figures should not be used comparatively
[DEBUG] Total time used: 11116ms
[DEBUG] Pages rendered: 5
[DEBUG] Avg render time: 2223ms/page

Out of curiosity, how do you think these values would be changed if I did the xalan stuff (passing the parameters & then did the FOP stuff? Do you think this would increase the overall rendering time? If so, by how much. (I'd certainly accept estimations).

:-)

- Clay Leeds
- Web Developer
- [EMAIL PROTECTED]