So, the preferred solution would be to generate an XML-metrics file
on-the-fly and store it in the fontBaseDir (meaning no *complete*
elimination of the metrics file).
The next time the same font is used, the metrics will already be there for
pickup *and* the possibility remains of manually altering the metrics if
needed.

Agreed?

Greetz,

Andreas