Thanks for looking at this  Andreas

Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Trotman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yes - I am opening these in Acrobat Reader 7.0.

I know previous versions of Reader didn't allow adding comments.
but I know version 7.0 allows adding comments.

Hmm... Have you tried opening any other PDFs with Reader 7.0 to see if this
is the case?

Good point.

I have just tried changing a documents security setting in Acrobat 7.0 to allow commenting,
then viewed them in Reader - and Commenting was NOT allowed!
The Acrobat Reader documentation says the creator of the PDF controls this
while the Adobe site says LiveCycle can be used to enable commenting in Reader 7.0.

I will seek clarification from Adobe.

If I find the time, I'll run a few tests *with* encryption, and if necessary
do some further lookup in the PDF Specification to see if I can find
something WRT PDF code that controls this particular document property (esp.
the changes in PDF 1.5 and 1.6)
I'm also thinking... Currently FOP 0.20.5 produces PDF conforming to the 1.3
Specification (Acrobat 4.0) --maybe that version still lacks the necessary
commands to make it 'commentable' by Reader 7.0 (= PDF version 1.6) (? long
shot)

I'll see what I can dig up.

Yes - it would be good to know if it is totally impossible with PDF 1.3 or not.

I wondered about encryption in the binary FOP distribution because the
DOcs say:

The build process automatically detects JCE presence and installs PDF
encryption support if possible, otherwise a stub is compiled in.

Could be that the binary was still compiled on a machine without JCE present
(Java 1.3 sans JCE), but I can't confirm it myself. Anyone?

Heads-up to all those interested:
It still needs to be fully tested, but IIC, the PDF library in FOP's
development version solves --at least some of-- these issues.

Yet another reason to see if there's any way to help in producing version 1.0 (as if we needed any).!

I really will have to start learning Java soon to help get the best out of all these wonderful Apache tools.

Greetz,

Andreas

Mike

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.9.16 - Release Date: 18/04/2005