Thank you all for the suggestions.

Here is what I have done so far, maybe this could help others with projects
that they are working on.  I ran a 1000 TRANSACTION element version of the
detrpt1.xml through two different XSLT processors, both from the command
line, so I could get an understanding of the XSL transformation time, taking
fop out of the equation.

The two XSLT processors
Xalan-j - version 2_7_0 - Processing time - 2 min 10 seconds
Saxon - version 8 - Processing time - 2.5 seconds

I was surprised to see such a huge difference in performance, but I believe
I performed the benchmarks correctly, I was just creating a text file for
the test, but each created a text file of the same size, with all the data
from the xml present.

So now I am plugging Saxon in to the actual application and I will see what
I get.

I will repost to the mail list, if anything that might be helpful to others
comes up.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Danny Gallagher
The Gainer Group