From: Mike Trotman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 8:54 AM
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: Large PDF - Performance

I tested several XSLT processors last year - on both Linux and Windows.

I also found that certain XPATH expressions produced significant
differences in processing time between the different processors.
(One surprise was that Saxon 6.5.3 (I think) took a long time with XPATH
expressions involving '../somexpathexpression'.
Just defining a variable that was '..' and using
'$variable/somexpathexpression' vastly improved things.)

So - I think XPATH between different processors is like SQL between
different relational databases.
They all do different optimisations.
You need to tune your XSLT for your processor.

Mike

Danny wrote:

>Thank you all for the suggestions.
>
>Here is what I have done so far, maybe this could help others with projects
>that they are working on.  I ran a 1000 TRANSACTION element version of the
>detrpt1.xml through two different XSLT processors, both from the command
>line, so I could get an understanding of the XSL transformation time,
taking
>fop out of the equation.
>
>The two XSLT processors
>Xalan-j - version 2_7_0 - Processing time - 2 min 10 seconds
>Saxon - version 8 - Processing time - 2.5 seconds
>
>I was surprised to see such a huge difference in performance, but I believe
>I performed the benchmarks correctly, I was just creating a text file for
>the test, but each created a text file of the same size, with all the data
>from the xml present.
>
>So now I am plugging Saxon in to the actual application and I will see what
>I get.
>
>I will repost to the mail list, if anything that might be helpful to others
>comes up.
>
>Again, thanks for all the help.
>
>Danny Gallagher
>The Gainer Group
>6525 The Corners Parkway
>Suite 215
>Norcross Ga, 30092

Message Scanned by ClamAV on datalucid.com