The command-line of FOP uses the directory of the source XML file (not
the stylesheet) as base directory/URL. If your stylesheet is not in the
same directory as the XML file FOP won't find it if you don't specify an
explicit base directory in the config file. So, the work-around for you
at the moment is to explicitely set the base URL in the config file
(Element: "base").

If I'm thinking about it, it is probably a bad idea to use the XML file
as base URL source when a stylesheet is used. Normally, you'd place the
resources for a stylesheet relative to the stylesheet, not the source
XML file. fop-devs, what do you think? It would be easy to fix. On the
other side, 0.20.5 seems to do the same (see
Options.setCommandLineOptions).