I have the same problem, and I think it may be a bug. I have used FOP examples from O'Reilly and W3C and I can't get any file, even the most basic to work. Any help would be very much appreciated! Here are two example input files:

test.xsl:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>

<xsl:template match="data">
<fo:block>
<xsl:apply-templates select="name"/>
<xsl:apply-templates select="description"/>
</fo:block>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="name">
<fo:block font-size="18pt"
font-family="sans-serif"
line-height="24pt"
space-after.optimum="15pt"
background-color="blue"
color="white"
text-align="center"
padding-top="3pt">
<xsl:value-of select="."/>
</fo:block>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="description">
<fo:block font-size="12pt"
font-family="sans-serif"
line-height="15pt"
space-after.optimum="3pt"
text-align="justify">
<xsl:value-of select="."/>
</fo:block>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

test.xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<data>
<name>
Krusty the Clown
</name>
<description>
This memo explains why Krusty the Clown is our best customer.
We need to take good care of him from now onwards and make sure
that there are always enough bananas for his pet monkey.
</description>
</data>