Olivier Lefevre wrote:
I wish to use the hyphenation classes of FOP to format paragraphs for rendering in Swing. The hyphenate methods of the Hyphenator class look like the obvious choice but I have two problems:
1. their arguments are poorly documented
2. I do not see where to set the font; the length argument makes no
   sense unless a font metrics has been specified

The hyphenate methods return only possible hyphenation points for
a word. The caller is responsible for:
- parsing words from flow text and
- checking up to which possible hyphenation point the word part
  fits onto the line.
You may want to read
 http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/AutomaticHyphenation
for some background information, in particular the (still short)
chapter about "Refinements And Embedding" BTW feedback for the page
is appreciated.

J.Pietschmann