I think your problem is that the table below is defined to have 1 column but
has two. Try this:

              <caption>FTPPASVaddr</caption>
              <col align="center"/>
                  <col align="center"/>
              <thead>
                  <th>Directive</th>

                  <th>FTPPASVaddr</th>
              </thead>

              <tbody>

IP
                  address to be sent on replies to <code>PASV</code>
requests.
                  You will find this useful when the Covalent Enterprise
FTP
                  Server is behind a firewall.</td>

              </tbody>

In docbook documents I would define tables like this:

  <title>
  </title>
  <tgroup>
    <colspec colname="col1" />
    <colspec colname="col2" />
    <thead>
      <row>
        <entry colname="col1">
        </entry>
        <entry colname="col2">
        </entry>
      </row>
    </thead>
    <tbody>
      <row>
        <entry colname="col1">
        </entry>
        <entry colname="col2">
        </entry>
      </row>
    </tbody>
  </tgroup>

For customizing the docbook DTD see:
http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/ch05.html
Bu you have to customize the docbook stylesheets as well if you add an
directivesynopsis element.

Kai