I have never used JFreeChart. I assume the chart:multiBarChart function
generates SVG since you embed it in an instream-foreign-object. Even for
FOP 0.20.5, the note about the graphical environment needed by Batik
applies equally: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.94/graphics.html#batik
So my initial suspicion is probably correct. Please make sure that your
Java application has a proper graphical environment to work with.