Andreas Delmelle a écrit :

Which Java VM are you using? Practically every time someone tells us about memory/GC issues, it appears they are using an implementation other than Sun (IBM, GNU...) Up to now, we still have to find out why precisely non-Sun VMs have difficulties with FOP...

Nope. I'll double check but I'm pretty sure it's a genuine Sun JVM 1.5.0_11, or maybe the very minor build after.
How large would the resulting FO-files be if you dump them to the filesystem? The XML by itself says very little. From a 1.5MB XML, you could get a FO of a few KB or one of 26MB, depending on the stylesheet.

5.08 Mb.
Does the stylesheet adhere to XSLT best practices? Does it generate a lot of redundant fo:blocks, fo:inlines?

I hope not. It has been a complicated thing generated by StyleVision in the very beginning but it has been simplified and tweaked a lot.

A nit, for the record: There is no such thing as 'forcing garbage collection'. The most you can do with System.gc() is indicate to the VM that it should run the GC as soon as possible. Admitted, most implementations do run the algorithm virtually immediately upon execution of the statement, but the Java spec does not mandate such behavior. In theory, if the VM is too busy, it could still postpone the actual GC-run, until it acquires the necessary resources...

Indeed, but the log4j log has timestamps and they show that 20 seconds are spent around System.gc() so my guess is that something really happens at that time.