On 01 Jul 2011, at 00:25, Rob Sargent wrote:

> Even with auto-detect on?

In that case, the answer to my question would be: "Yes, FOP is configured to
look elsewhere."

Still, it just occurred to me that the font definition you added, would only
influence the specifications of "font" and "font-family" in the FO, or
"Helvetica" specs passed by Batik to FOP. The latter is precisely what does
*not* happen, and causes the issue. Batik asks Java for "Helvetica" but gets
something different. This font, however, is apparently not known to FOP. At
least, not by that name...

So, first thing to do, is to find out exactly which font Java AWT *does* give
to Batik for "Helvetica". Then we have to find out why FOP doesn't recognize it.

Concerning the observation that it renders correctly if you use a 'wrong'
font-family specification: that might be a worthwhile option to explore. Which
exact font does Batik revert to in that case...?
BTW: What exactly does that stack trace point to that you mentioned?

Regards

Andreas
---