On 07 Jul 2011, at 19:07, Rob Sargent wrote:

Hi Rob

> My mistake. A rash assumption that the example was simply glossing over the
> renderer specific stuff.  (Seemed reasonable to me that one might want
> different fonts in different renderers)
>
> I now have the following (partial) config. file and am still not getting a
> clean "Joint".
<snip />

OK, that looks good.

> and I have confirmed that the font files are in my distribution.
>
> The only message I get from the FOP run is:
> [Fop100Stage] [Print Preview Thread] [2011-07-07 10:58:27,161] DEBUG -
> Looking for hyph jar: <longpath>/fop/fop100/fop/lib/fop-hyph.jar!/hyph/
>
> [FOP] [Print Preview Thread] [2011-07-07 10:58:27,161] DEBUG -
> target-resolution set to: 72.0dpi (px2mm=0.35277778)
>
> where the first message confirms for me that I'm getting the correct fop
> version.

Provided that this is the config file that is used, you should then see, a bit
further down, something like

DEBUG - FontInfo - Helvetica,normal,400: Replacing Helvetica (priority=0) by
FreeSans (priority=0)

Do you see a reference like that? If yes, do you also see the "FreeSans" font
being registered a bit higher up? If not, that could mean either of:
- a different config is actually used at runtime
- the FreeSans font failed to load properly
- the FreeSans font is still not the one that Java AWT falls back on for
Helvetica, so the metrics still don't match

As for the latter, the key is that via the config you _can_ make FOP follow
suit, but you really need to make sure that it _is_ the FreeSans font that is
used by Batik.
Does that font have a narrower 'J' glyph than standard Helvetica? It doesn't
seem so, from what I can tell...

Regards

Andreas
---