On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 4:46 AM, Dominic Cleal <domi...@cleal.org> wrote:

> On 10/05/16 10:26, Dominic Cleal wrote:
> > I'd like to propose a deprecation of EL6 for Foreman 1.12, so we have
> > the option of leaving it out of the 1.13 release.
>
> I've stopped nightly EL6 builds now and will remove the yum repos

shortly too.

I would like to ask that we put a hold on this change without some further
discussion. This comes as a bit of a surprise (at a minimum a warning
similar to branch warnings would have been nice) given the conversation
herein where there was equal sides for and against this change. I do not
consider the line in the release notes sufficient for this kind of change
given the scale and scope it imposes. The release notes also do not
indicate which release users should prepare for this change, simply that it
will be that way in future releases. We have given users no major warnings
nor reiterated this point to allow them to begin considering how to
transition. We did not provide a transition document for users to consider
during the deprecation period. From a development stand point, there has
been no collaboration to coordinate all the various changes that have to be
made to support this change. I'm afraid we will be doing some of our users
and developers a disservice due to the feeling of abruptness of this
without sufficient "loud" warnings and supporting documentation to given
them time to prepare for migration. I like to believe users prefer to use
the latest and greatest (and that we should be encouraging the use of) and
we owe it to them to ensure we provide the smoothest runway possible to get
them there. I am thinking about the Katello part of the community here as
well which is a valid aspect of the ecosystem given the user base and how
we integrate with Foreman core and a variety of plugins.

Eric

> --
> Dominic Cleal
> domi...@cleal.org
>
> --

Eric D. Helms
Red Hat Engineering
Ph.D. Student - North Carolina State University