On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 12:33 AM, Stephan Beal <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 6:32 PM, Eric Rubin-Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
>> A user who only ever uses fossil on unix should get unix symlink semantics
>> on unix, without quirks or surprises.  Surely you and DRH would agree with
>> that?
>
> i can't speak for Richard, but if i had my way, fossil wouldn't support
> symlinks at all. They are inherently platform-dependent and, IMHO, belong in
> the build process, not the SCM. They are a big can of worms, as we can see
> by large amount of emails on the topic. To be clear: i use symlinks all over
> the place on my systems, i just refuse to use them in an SCM. Call me old
> fashioned.

When this discussion started (many messages ago), I shared Mr
Rubin-Smith's opinion. but as arguments were presented, I'm now
leaning towards Mr. Beal's. We're arguing how much file system
semantics should 'fossil' manage? The more you manage, the tougher it
gets to be cross-platform.

How much of the spectrum should fossil track:

- Files. This is a no-brainer; the whole purpose is to track changing
file contents.
- Directories. Also a no-brainer; all serious file systems have a way
to organize files into directory trees (although I guess this means
fossil won't run on CPM machines) and directories are a very useful
way to organize a project's files.
- Permissions. As a fossil user, I haven't been tripped up by
incorrect permissions, so I don't know if it saves Unix permissions or
not. Whatever it's doing, it seems correct in a Unix-like environment.
- Symlinks. Now we're getting into file system specifics. Some users
may want to track them because they find them useful. What about users
that find FIFOs or block devices or character device useful? Should
fossil attempt to save enough information to recreate them?
- Extended attributes. Many file systems now have extended attributes.
Should Mac users complain because fossil doesn't support HFS+ extended
attributes or resource forks?

I think fossil can support the permissions level. Anything further
down in the previous list should be part of the project's build cycle.

--
Rich
_______________________________________________
fossil-users mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.fossil-scm.org:8080/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fossil-users

Reply via email to