I also find symlinks useful for similar reasons - although I do not use
nested repos, so my usage is simpler.

It does become a problem when I work with someone who uses Windows and 
can see that is harder to fix. Would it not be possible for Fossil to
detect whether the user can create symlinks or not, and then create a
symlink if possible? Perhaps add a Windows specific option to choose
between this and the current behaviour?


On 04/11/15 00:29, David Mason wrote:
> On 3 November 2015 at 10:48, Eric Rubin-Smith <[email protected]
> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>
>
>     On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 1:33 AM, Stephan Beal
>     <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>
>         i can't speak for Richard, but if i had my way, fossil
>         wouldn't support symlinks at all.
>
>
> This would force me to stop using Fossil (or at least updating to a
> version that didn't support them), and to recommend to everyone
> (including the hundreds of students who I've introduced to Fossil) to
> be wary using it.
>
> Part of the problem in this discussion is that everyone seems to be
> assuming that Fossil is only used for source trees and makefiles.  I
> maintain a dozen web sites, a few of them are my course-based ones.  I
> have (simplified for expository purposes) let's say 3 repos: Courses,
> cps710 and cps506.  Courses has sub-directories Themes (for CSS, etc.)
> and JScript.  cps710 and cps506 are nested under Courses, so the
> structure looks like:
>     Courses
>            Themes
>            JScript
>            cps710
>                  Themes -> ../Themes
>                  JScript -> ../JScript
>                  f2013
>                       index.html
>                       f2013 -> .
>                       current -> ../current
>                       Themes -> ../Themes
>                       JScript -> ../JScript
>                  f2015
>                       index.html
>                       f2015 -> .
>                       current -> ../current
>                       Themes -> ../Themes
>                       JScript -> ../JScript
>                  current -> f2015
>                  index.html -> current/index.html
>            cps506
>                  Themes -> ../Themes
>                   JScript -> ../JScript
>                  index.html -> current/index.html
>     ....etc.
>
> So symlinks, with nested repos is a huge win for me.  Fortunately, I
> only need to set up a new course occasionally, so I only have to fight
> with Fossil about symlinks occasionally, but too often!
>
> The poor support for symlinks is far and away my biggest complaint
> with Fossil. (The limited support for file permissions is second,
> because I often want to put things in the repo that I'm not ready to
> show the students yet.)
>
> It's simple: a symlink is a filesystem artifact and should be
> reflected as such in the repository.  It should not be followed; if
> foo is a symlink and I say "fs add foo/bar" it should probably give an
> error. (This might surprise people the first time, but it's easy to
> explain - foo/bar isn't part of the repo, regardless of where foo points.)
>  
>
>     :-) Fossil creates a problem by not supporting symlinks properly,
>     and you use the volume of complaints about the problem to support
>     your claim that the problem was inevitable.
>
>     Not implementing them at all, or implementing them poorly as
>     Fossil has, is what maximizes complaints -- hence the large amount
>     of emails.
>
>
> Exactly.  Please fix symlinks so that if you live only on Unix you get
> seamless support.  If you work back and forth between Windows and Unix
> then you probably just don't use symlinks, so it won't be a problem
> for you! 
>
> ../Dave
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> fossil-users mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.fossil-scm.org:8080/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fossil-users

-- 
Graeme Pietersz
http://moneyterms.co.uk/
http://pietersz.net/

_______________________________________________
fossil-users mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.fossil-scm.org:8080/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fossil-users

Reply via email to