On Nov 4, 2015, at 11:52 PM, Stephan Beal wrote:
> 
> You've hit it right on the head: POLICY. No SCM should enforce 
> project-specific policies, and symlinks (for me) fall into that category.

I can argue the reverse on the same basis: Fossil shouldn’t be making a policy 
decision about what I put into my repository, just because it might not work on 
some other platform that I’m not using.

You may say that I might later want to check the repo out on that other 
platform, but the consequences here really are not that dire.  If you check a 
symlink into the repo, and some future Windows native symlink feature is added 
to Fossil, and you can’t use it because $REASON, you can fix it in trunk on a 
POSIX box and try again.

All you’ve lost is the ability to check old versions of the code out on that 
platform.

Yes, that means you can’t do things like bisect against old versions, but 
clearly if you’re using symlinks, you’ve got platforms around that will let you 
do the bisection.  And you probably don’t have a platform-specific bug to 
bisect in this case, since you clearly weren’t checking the repo out on Windows 
back when the symlink was added.

War story: I use Adobe Lightroom quite a lot.  (Which is based on SQLite, by 
the way!)  A couple of versions ago, it stopped letting me name folders with a 
trailing dot,[*] which is perfectly legal on OS X, but illegal on Windows.  I 
don’t use Lightroom on Windows, but Adobe doesn’t let me use a feature of my OS 
because I *might* someday want to move that catalog to Windows.

The result is that Lightroom now enforces an LCD policy on file names, refusing 
the union of the restrictions of Windows and OS X on both platforms.  So, 
trailing dots aren’t the only annoying restriction.  The inability to use 
colons is another, for example.

I don’t want to be mollycoddled.


[*] If you’re wondering why I might want to use a trailing dot on folder names, 
I sometimes abbreviate people’s last names, when the initial is all I need to 
disambiguate the name.  I want to call the folder “Stephan B.”, not “Stephan B”.
_______________________________________________
fossil-users mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.fossil-scm.org:8080/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fossil-users

Reply via email to