On Sat, 26 Jan 2013, vrt277 wrote:

On 01/26/2013 12:27 AM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
You are new on the list, and so probably do not know this, but I hate wikis. Wikis are - by and large - a perfect example of what goes wrong in IT and in Open Source:
Lots of things get started. Few are actually finished.

Probably you think what mailing list is better ? In mailing list new user will not see even things that was started. I also dislike poorly maintained wiki and poorly maintained software and poorly maintained anything.

I am glad we agree.

I do not think that a mailing list is better for keeping lists.
I use it for communication only.

We do not need more language features.
Your point of view is clear and immutable. I guess main reason for you to include for-in loop in language was delphi.

It was.

I want to stress that I am not against new language features.

But at the same time I do not think that all possible use cases must be translated to new language features.

The fight against "language bloat" is a difficult balance.

"For in" is there. It can be used in many wonderful ways. As such I do not see the need for an extension.

But they are all practical things you need in everyday programming to solve programming tasks you will get when you work in an IT company. But these are probably not very interesting from an academic point of view...
Why not? A mechanism to translate Pascal to Javascript is should be interesting even from academic point of view.

Well:
There are even different possible approaches. Last year a google summer of code
proposal was made to achieve this in FPC. I was quite surprised to see that it was totally different from what I myself had in mind.

As for everyday programming in IT company then I have my own experience and will decide what is useful for me myself :)

Of course; I only presented what is on my personal wishlist...

You have good wishlist. May be it would be better to store it not in mailing list.

I can store the list in the WIKI if this is desirable. Although I am afraid it will get lost in the depths of Google anyway ;-)