Op Fri, 18 Jan 2008, schreef Bee:

Well, the statements so far went like "this sub.sub.unit stuff is just .NET crap, we won't implement any of those". ;)

I don't like that kind of attitude either. .Net is not crap as a whole, it does have some good features and ability. If some of them are really good, then why not implement some of them in FPC too?

Agreed, but, many things in .NET interfere with how things work in Pascal. The .NET way of modular programming is totally different compared with the Pascal unit system, therefore it would function as an "alien".

What should be done is, that if the .NET namespace stuff provides advantages, the Pascal unit system should be logically extended to provide such functionality, rather than duplicate the .NET way of modular programming.

Like FPC supports the ugly '+=' C syntax. :-P Maybe it's a good feature for some 'lazy' programmers, but I personally don't like it. However, I'm not against it, because FPC doesn't force me to use that syntax. It's just a 'nice' feature to please some people. ;)

I think this feature is mainly there for historical reasons. Long ago someone wanted the feature and did provide a patch. It was made disabled by default because of "uglyness". This is how things work in open source, if you write code, a lot is possible.

But, I never encounter code that uses this feature; it is the perfect example of how adding syntactic sugar can help the needs of just one man.

Daniël