Note that Dov's comments were from 2002, when FM 7.0 was the brand new version.

Versions of FrameMaker prior to 7.0 did have some problems with PDF as an
import format, which made EPS the safest graphic import format despite the fact
that FrameMaker could not render the EPS for on-screen display. This meant that
we had to suffer with either an ugly low-res raster preview image onscreen or
else a gray rectangle if the EPS had not been created to contain a TIFF preview
image.

But as of FM 8.0 (and maybe earlier), PDF import has worked reliably and for
most of the last 10 years I have been happy to use PDF as my primary graphics
import format. It has been at least 95% reliable (a few PDFs have had font
issues) and the onscreen image in FrameMaker is basically as good as in
Acrobat.

-Fred Ridder