I had replied to the list earlier that the problem was a couple bad
entities within the graphic itself, that was tripping up the graphics
conversion to PDF and causing rasterization in blocks where those entities
were found. We've since redrawn the graphic and the distortion no longer
occurs.

Not sure why my reply did not post to the list.

But yes, I was using Adobe PDF in the print method of pdf creation, and the
ai file was indeed vector, but like I said it originally contained some
errant bad blocks deep in the details.

Chris