A slight correction to Steve's statement:

"<$paratext> means just that - the text of the source paragraph, and only
the text."

This is not true in all contexts. For example the <$paratext> building block
in generated lists does honor any character formats applied within the
paragraph text. In my opinion, what Carol is experiencing is an annoying,
long-time FrameMaker bug. I think this is underscored by the fact that if
the character format uses a different font family, the styling WILL be
carried over. Unfortunately, from my experience, it is not Adobe's policy to
fix long-standing bugs like this.

Rick

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.