Thanks, Steve. My struggle right now is with cross-references to paragraphs that, in addition to regular text, house hypertext links formatted with a Character tag that makes the text blue; and cross-references that house an italicized citation to a book. The character-formatted text in those cross-refs lose their character formatting. I use cross-references because I want to single-source the source text. I can't avoid character formatting in these instances. And as you stated, breaking one cross-ref into three separate cross-refs to access the text before and after the character-formatted text is impractical.

Just as I can import text insets and retain their formatting, I would hope that eventually Adobe will give me the option to use cross-refs while retaining the source formatting. Call it a feature enhancement.

Carol