List of reasons for unwanted blank pages (from Harro de Jong):

Blank pages at the start or end of a chapter:
- rightclick chapter in book->Pagination->Make page count odd/even (can add an empty page at end of chapter)
- rightclick chapter in book->Pagination-> 1st page side (can add an empty page at the start of the chapter if it's set to anything other than Next Available.)
- Page break in paragraph format or as paragraph override, or start: top of page setting
- Master pages set to anything other than Left or Right
- Pages with graphic objects or text frames outside (or behind) the body text frame
- Pages with an extra text frame that overlaps the body text frame

Blank pages at any position:
- Manual page break
- Page break in paragraph format or as paragraph override, or start: top of page setting
- Table or graphic frame anchors (set to 'below current line', if the table/figure is large enough that the table and anchor, plus any paragraphs with 'keep with next' settings above the anchor, don't fit on the page)
- tables/graphic frames that are too large to fit on a page
- Tables with too-greedy Keep with next/previous settings
- Tables with straddled columns
- Pages with disconnected text frames (or no body text frame at all)