For the registers, we list all the table names as active links in a table
upfront. But if I am simply scanning through the tables, I find it easier
to use the cursor button than the mouse wheel. Your mileage may, of course,
vary.  There are also places where a brief paragraph introduces a set of
tables. The data wouldn't work well combined into single table, and I'm not
about to say, "The following table describes X" when I've already said it
up above. It annoys my engineers and the customer engineers.

If I were in a different environment producing docs for a different
audience, I would very likely be introducing each table with some text. In
this environment, with this highly technical audience, it is neither
necessary nor wanted.

--
Lin Sims