Sorry, Craig, but there's nothing to suggest that MIF has any basis in SGML,
either.

MIF existed in FrameMaker from version 1.0 in 1986, which was the same year
that SGML formally came into existence.  Frame Technologies did not offer a
product that supported SGML until they released FrameBuilder in 1992 in the
FrameMaker 3.0 era.

There is a fundamental difference in philosophy and purpose between MIF and
SGML.
The whole idea behind SGML was to define a way in which information could the
marked up to self-identify the *semantic* purpose of the information
independently of the presentational aspects (formatting) of a particular
document. As tools for SGML were developed, the philosophy was that the
presentation should be driven by the semantic purpose of each information
element in its current context.
MIF, on the other hand, is focused almost entirely on the *presentational*
aspects of the information that is contained in a document. This is entirely
appropriate because the language is used within the environment of a document
processing software application.

There is also a fundamental difference in the way the markup is structured.
In SGML (and XML and HTML) only the tag names and attributes are contained
within pairs of angle brackets. The content is contained between pairs of
bracket-delimited tags (although the end tag may be assumed in some cases in
HTML and SGML). Parsing out everything that is contained in brackets yields the
raw, untagged text.
In MIF, *everything* is contained within the angle brackets as <name value>
tuples. The only thing that exists outside angle brackets are commentary
strings that identify MIF structures. The document content is actually
contained in delimited strings within a <String ` '> element that is wrapped up
in a bunch of nested formatting elements. For example, the following MIF
snippet represents a single cell of a table that contains a single text
character (I for "input") in a String element that is nested 4 levels deep
inside a Cell element, which is, in turn,  nested inside Row, TblBody, and Tbl
elements:
    <Cell
     <CellContent
      <Notes
      > # end of Notes
      <Para
       <Unique 1022301>
       <PgfTag `CellBodyCenter'>
       <ParaLine
        <String `I'>
       > # end of ParaLine
      > # end of Para
     > # end of CellContent
    > # end of Cell
If a text editor were to provide really useful on-screen highlighting, it would
have the ability to highlight all the lines that are within a matching pair of
brackets, such as the 11 lines that constitute the CellContent element or the
13 lines of the Cell element in the example. Just highlighting the element or
property name that follows the left angle bracket may look nice, but really
isn't particularly helpful IMO.

It's really unfortunate that people jump to the conclusion that any markup
language that uses angle brackets must be based on XML or HTML or SGML. There
are only a small number of characters on a standard keyboard that are suitable
for use as delimiters in a markup language and many different markup languages
*independently* chose angle brackets as the best option. In reality, we should
all be thankful that the authors of these markup languages chose something
relatively user-friendly like angle brackets rather than retaining the
ancestral form of markup use in IBM's Generalized Markup Language (GML) which
looked something like this:
 :h1.Chapter 1:  Introduction
   :p.GML supported hierarchical containers, such as
   :ol
   :li.Ordered lists (like this one),
   :li.Unordered lists, and
   :li.Definition lists
   :eol.
   as well as simple structures.
   :p.Markup minimization (later generalized and formalized in SGML),
   allowed the end-tags to be omitted for the "h1" and "p" elements.Notice that
only the ordered list structure (:ol) has an explicit end delimiter (:eol),
whichc makes it really hard for a human reader to figure out wheretheheck you
are.