Since this discussion has morphed a bit .. I'll add a bit more to the MIF/XML thread. When XML came around I always thought how nice it would be to be able to convert between MIF and XML. Since MIF does have some similarities with XML, it seemed like a reasonable thing to do. So in 2003 I created the beginning of what has become MIFML (the XML representation of a MIF file).

    http://leximation.com/tools/mifml/

I developed a DTD that maps all MIF 7 statements to comparable XML structures (including embedded graphics to some degree), then created a command line utility to perform the conversion from MIF to MIFML and back. This utility and the DTD are freely available from the URL above.

I haven't touched this code in years, so it's stuck at MIF7 level, although that should still work reasonably well.

Cheers,

...scott