Largely correct. Interleaf TPS predated FrameMaker by about 5 years. Until
about 1990, both it and FrameMaker only ran on workstations and minicomputers
(SUN SPARCstations, DEC PDPs, etc.) so the Interleaf licensing model was
actually pretty familiar to (if not popular with) customers. Interleaf was also
a structured authoring tool years before structured information (e.g., SGML)
became an accepted concept, so I'd have to say that it was the real pioneer.
But the combination of unpopular licensing and unfamiliar document model
definitely gave FrameMaker a leg up when they got started.

Another competitor started the same year as Frame, namely Ventura Publisher,
who had the weight of Xerox behind them (this may or may not have been a good
thing). Publisher had the advantage of being able to directly accept content
created in a variety of other applications, such as MS Word, Wordstar, and
WordPerfect, but had the disadvantage of not being a useable self-contained
document authoring environment like FrameMaker.

And there was also LaTeX for the hard core who didn't believe in WYSIWYG (or
WYSIAWYG).

When the Windows version of FrameMaker came along in 1991, and FrameBuilder
(the SGML version) in 1992, there were a whole new set of competitors,
including startup Arbortext in the SGML arena.

-Fred