Reader is basically a subset of Acrobat. Having both on the same machine doesn't necessarily accomplish anything that Acrobat can't do alone. More importantly, testing on the same machine doesn't give a true test of what it's like for another user with a different environment. For example, say you forget to embed fonts. Since Reader is on the same machine as where Acrobat created the PDF, it has access to the same installed fonts and will find them. But users viewing on other machines will likely suffer font substitutions and that result could be horrid.

Testing is important. I know that I have created forms in Acrobat in the past, that worked fine on my computer-- even after a sending them to myself in email-- but did not work on other machines because I had forgotten to set something. So testing on another computer can eliminate false positives.

As I recall, Dov Isaacs of Adobe recommended that testing was only really valid if done on a plain, vanilla computer that had the basic OS and default fonts installed, along with a single version of Reader-- which can be done in a virtual machine.

I do agree, though, that it was dumb to design Reader and Acrobat in a way that the various versions can corrupt other versions installed on the same computer. Adobe's many other software programs seem to allow installation of multiple versions without issues.

Mike Wickham