I've had differences of opinion and experience with others over the stability of FrameMaker 12 versus 11 (or previous releases). Stability appears to vary widely with different source files, practices, computing/network environment, etc. For example, I have a client who had a stable platform with FrameMaker 11, but is in tears because FrameMaker 12 crashes so frequently and unpredictably.

Historically, FrameMaker's sweet spot has been as a workgroup tool ... deployed to multiple seats within an organization. But Adobe has always sold FrameMaker as a desktop tool. And Adobe's insistence that "everybody migrate every 18 months" goes against workgroup requirements of stability and predictability.

Having said that, I like FrameMaker 12. I just wish it were easier to maintain workgroups on older versions (including availability of new licenses for older versions), for organizations that wish to maintain a stable, predictable environment and workflow.

-Alan
---

Alan Houser
Group Wellesley, Inc.
Consultant and Trainer, Technical Publishing
arh on Twitter
412-450-0532