It depends on the version of Acrobat.  In older versions you had to use
the
File>Export command to turn a PDF into an EPS.  In Acrobat 7.0, you
do it right from the Save As dialog.  Just be sure you click the
Settings
button right below the "Save as type" list box so that you can properly
configure the conversion.  In particular, remember to choose a preview
image, or else the EPS will always display in FrameMaker as a gray box.
FrameMaker cannot render EPS directly and relies on the low-res raster
preview image for on-screen display--the one big disadvantage of EPS.

Using PDF images directly in FrameMaker (either pasted or referenced)
used to cause some serious problems, but as far as I know works fine
in all 7.x versions. The advantage of PDF is that the on-screen display
is much better than the corresponding EPS.

In our group we use EPS because that is a native file format for
Illustrator.  Illustrator can have problems with certain PDF file format
versions and may not be able to successfully open and edit any
given PDF file.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ