Me again... Sarah O'Keefe sort of implies in the 'Complete Reference' that you
can apply structure to generated lists, but as it gets blown away the next time
the list is generated, it's best either not to bother, or do it last.

Here's the rub: one generated list document in my current template, a list of
figures, uses a character tag to format the figure number ('cos it looks nice).
My EDD is set up so that the individual lines of the generated list can be
wrapped in appropriate elements if required. However, if I do this, I lose the
character mark-up.

Is this a dead-end, or is there any way to preserve the character markup?
--
Steve