Dear David,

I don't know of a good option. The standard you seem to be working from
isn't one that I've heard of. Every mainstream style guide I've seen
says that front matter should be numbered separately from the body. That
means that your chapter 1 should start on page 1 according to
commonly-accepted standards. The FM architecture is designed to conform
to those standards. I seriously doubt they'll change it, though I agree
that the numbering and the format shouldn't be connected.

=======================================
Aside:

By the way, Chicago's style does this because they assume that front
matter will change after the body text has been paginated, so removing
the dependency makes sense. In modern, computer-paginated technical
manuals the dependency may no longer exist. Recognizing this, I have
chosen to number from the first page of the front matter in Arabic. One
benefit of this is that Adobe PDF versions of my books match the PDF
page number to the "printed" page number!

Keen readers of Chicago's online Q&A will recognize this issue from last
month; I was the one who asked the question. Alas, they didn't quite
understand my point. The standard of numbering front and back matter
separately from the body makes sense in a traditional world, and I
suppose that it should be the standard if you are going to have only one
single standard to cover every situation. But in a book generated from
FM, where one can re-paginate at the click of a button, I think the
standard has no useful purpose.

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin at tuvox.com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.