>I am on Windows XP Professional.

>The instructions you list ("Click Start, click Shut Down, and then in
>the drop-down list click Shut Down") are perfectly correct for my
>computer. That is exactly what I see.

I'm on XP Pro, too, and I see the Start> Turn off computer> and the three
buttons, including "Turn off."  But my laptop shows the Start> Shutdown >
Shutdown sequence. The difference seems to be that the first computer uses
the Welcome Screen (Windows default). The second computer is set for classic
logon. You can change the setting in Control Panel> User Accounts.

Mike Wickham
Pleco Press, Inc.
"Aquarium books endorsed by fish!"