From: framers-bounces+fred.ridder=intel....@lists.frameusers.com
[mailto:framers-bounces+fred.ridder=intel.com at lists.frameusers.com] On
Behalf Of Jessica.Nealon at handheld.com
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2006 9:33 AM
To: Shlomo Perets
Cc: Framers at frameusers.com
Subject: Re: Disappearing text using Save As to PDF

Thank you, Schlomo,

I normally do print to .ps and distill using the watched folders
feature.
However, working on new development projects, I am constantly being
asked
for drafts of books other than the ones I am working on. Also, I often
have to publish specific page ranges. When it was working, the Save As
feature was a nice, quick shortcut.

I did get the Save As to work by deselecting the Generate Tagged PDF and

using the High Quality Print job option. The Press Quality job option
still erased text--both inside and outside of tables--even with tagged
PDF
deselected.

So odd.

Jessica Nealon
Technical Writer

Shlomo Perets <shlomo2 at microtype.com>
10/15/2006 10:39 AM

Jessica.Nealon at handheld.com
cc
Framers at frameusers.com
Subject
Re: Disappearing text using Save As to PDF

Jessica,

You wrote:

 > ... When I use Save As to PDF my books, whole chunks of text
disappear
in the
 > PDF file. It appears to be totally random. For instance, one table
will
 > have several blank rows blank followed by competed rows.  ...

Turn off "Generate Tagged PDF", which may cause some text to be
invisible,

in conjunction with "Save as PDF"
(see http://www.microtype.com/FM_bugs.html#FM71 for a link to a sample
file
demonstrating this problem).

Better yet, avoid using "Save as PDF" -- instead, print to a .ps file
and
distill.

If the problem persists, additional items to check are the PS driver
resolution and (less likely) the fonts being used.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
Training, consulting & add-ons: FrameMaker, Structured FM and Acrobat