I'm sorry to have to tell you that the $chapnum system variable
can only have a single value in any given file. If you *must*
have multiple chapters in the same file you must build your
numbering scheme from individual numbering counters, which
was the standard mechanism for FrameMaker versions through
v5.5.6.

And if you have multiple chapters in a file and you need to use
a numbering scheme for your tables and figures that includes
the chapter number (a scheme which seems to be used less
and less as time goes by, BTW) you will need to build a single
labeled numbering scheme that includes separate counter elements
for the chapter number, for each level of section number, for tables,
and for figures. The $chapnum system variable was introduced
in FrameMaker 6.0 to simplify just this kind of situation (and
also to make it easier to use multiple files for a single chapter),
but it does require you to follow a no more than one chapter
per file model.

Many people are confused or simply intimidated by the
complexity of this single, consolidated numbering series,
but it is all completely logical if you simply slow down and
do things methodically. Over the years there have been several
very good  articles written on how to implement and maintain
this kind of numbering in Frame, and at least one of them was
always available on the FrameUsers website.  (If only the
FrameUsers website were available...)  If you're lucky, one or
more of the authors who are list members will offer to send
you a copy of their article or point you to some other website
where it is still available.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ