Alan Litchfield wrote:

> I need to create a Word template for use by contributors to a
> large document. Most of the content will have passed through
> various approval committees and courts before finally being
> added to the document. Once the content has been approved it
> cannot be varied, regardless of what ever horrible formats
> have been used.

Scott replied:

> You mean to say that your powers that be don't differentiate
> between content and format?
>
> That is crazy. Format has nothing to do with content. This is
> a self-inflicted wound.

To which I say, Amen! In fact, I can't help but wonder if you or your
supervisor are misinterpreting what's actually required. "Once the
content has been approved it cannot be varied" -- well, changing the
font, leading, left indent, etc., does NOT change the CONTENT.

What is the deliverable?

-- A Word doc? (As a .doc, .docx, or .rtf file? On a floppy, CD, DVD,
email attachment, or what?)

-- A PDF? (Created how? With what job options? Fonts embedded? What zoom
level and view settings on open? Any security settings?)

-- A hard copy? (What size paper? Single-sided or double-sided?
Letterhead? Watermark?)

The content in all of them may be identical, but the framework -- the
container, formatting, layout, presentation, or whatever you want to
call it -- will be radically different for each. For electronic
versions, there will most likely be binary file changes even from just
resaving.

You simply *have* to differentiate between content and format.

Admittedly, there is some overlap -- the _relative_ level of a heading
shouldn't change because it's relationship to others in the hierarchy
conveys meaning and thus affects content. But to forbid a font change is
indeed crazy.

"It's my opinion and it's very true."

Richard

------