At 12:28 -0400 27/7/07, Kenneth C. Benson wrote:

>I'm confused. What does it matter what the CMYK conversion is? PMS 164 is a
>printer's ink mix and there's nothing you can do on your computer to change
>that mix.

Thanks Kenneth...

Quite. However, if you change the spec in FrameMaker to 'correct' the mix, it
drops the ink name and you get 4-plate in the PDF [quite properly, by its
rules]. If I keep the ink name and its corresponding naff CMYK definition, the
roughs look ghastly because what should be one color is two: one 'Pantone 164'
in FrameMaker and another in the illustrations.

>If you're going to print a spot color, then you need a spot color plate. It's
>nice if that plate has the right name on it, but it's not even necessary. You
>can make a color and call it "Steve's Purple" and then tell the printer to use
>PMS 164 for Steve's Purple.

I appreciate that you are absolutely correct, in theory. However, in the real
world, at least here with UK publishers, printing is often done in places like
Croatia or China [two real examples]. Communication, particularly over
technical issues, is often sub-optimal, and it is critical to get everything
right before going to press.

>If you're going to print process color, then use the CMYK mix that you like,
>and forget about PMS 164.

4-plate not allowed: cost. PMS 164 is publisher's choice for spot color.

>Or am I missing something? Are you printing 5-color?

No, 2-color.

--
Steve