Hey, Art and everybody. I followed Art's explanation, I think. Here's
what I just tried that worked:

I had had a tag called TitleNoNum, which I used for TOC, LOF, LOT, IOM,
etc. Autonumbering was deselected. The result was that the footer for
each of these files was -#, as in -3 instead of Index-3 or Contents-3.

However, in order to insert "Index" into the autonumbering so that
<$chapnum> would pick it up, and "TOC" or "Contents" for the TOC, and so
on, obviously I can no longer use one paragraph tag for all of these
sections.

So, for the Index, I created TitleIndex, selected autonumbering, and
entered "Index" in the autonumbering field.

Updated, and yes indeedy, the footer picked up "Index" as the chapnum
and all is well.

Is this what you do, Art? You have separate paragraph tags for each of
those sections?