There are several questions that have been asked and never answered through
this entire long thread. Some of these questions are:

-Why can't you use the Print Book command to print directly to the Adobe PDF
virtual printer, which produces PDF outputs directly from FrameMaker? This
might be soewhat more complicated to script than a Save As PDF process, but
that should not be an insurmountable problem.

-Why can't you use one or more "watched folders" and use either Print to File
or Save As PostScript to put PS files into the watched folder for Distiller to
convert to PDF automatically, in the background? This is no more complicated to
script than a Save As PDF workflow.

-What are the features of Acrobat 9.0 that you simply *must* have? And do you
need to have those features on the same machine that initially produces the PDF
files from FrameMaker? I believe you mentioned that the prime objective is
generating PDFs that are enabled for commenting with Adobe Reader; that
operation can only be accomplished in a post-processing step, and there's no
obvious reason why that has to be done with the same machine the creates the
PDF.

-Since the underlying problem is one of compatibility between an old version of
FrameMaker and the newest version of Acrobat, what about upgrading FrameMaker
to a more current version? Reports are that at least 3 out of the 4 newer
versions of FrameMaker do work with Acrobat 9.0. Yes, upgrading the FramMaker
license does cost money, but how much time (including that of Adobe and of list
members who have tried to provide help) has been wasted already?

-Fred Ridder