Do you really require having the cover as a Frame document?? Is there some
additional content (title text, revision date, etc.) that can only be handled
in Frame?

I think it is better to create the cover as a PDF file directly from an
illustration program that supports transparency.? You can add the text info as
appropriate and also should be able to match the background (as a layer) and
create a full page image of your cover.?? I may be naive, but to me, 20% grey
should be the same in both the graphic program and in FrameMaker.

If you absolutely much have it as a Frame document, you can import the PDF page
as an image into a Frame file, probably as a background image on the page
rather than in the flow.? In this case, you would not add the text info in the
illustatration, but can "layer" that in the text frame over the image.? Also
this image would replace the default 20% grey fill background.

? Les Smalley