There is another solution to this problem and it is associated with the PPD
files themselves
and their support for "printer resident fonts." At one time (over 18 years
ago), it was
considered useful for PostScript printers to have "resident fonts" such that
less memory
was needed in the printer and more importantly, smaller data streams needed to
be sent to
the printer with each job. One was able to assume that all the fonts listed in
the PPD
file were resident and available in the printer.

Unfortunately, Windows' internal font enumeration mechanism treated those
printer-resident
fonts as if they actually existed on the host computer as well which has led to
all sorts
of problems over the years. Other Adobe applications, such as InDesign,
Illustrator, and
Photoshop handled these issues by doing their own font enumeration including
only those
fonts resident on the user's host computer and totally ignoring any fonts
specified by
the PPD files for PostScript printers or otherwise treated as printer-resident
by
non-PostScript printer drivers.

For PostScript printer driver instances, the fix has been to edit the PPD files
eliminate all references to resident fonts except for Courier. Then delete the
corresponding
.BPD files.

        - Dov