From: Combs, Richard [mailto:richard.co...@polycom.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:12 PM
To: Garnier Garnier; framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: RE: Save As not working with Acrobat Pro 9.0

Garnier Garnier wrote:

> Am using FM 7.0 and was using Acrobat distiller 5.0. All was working fine
> including the scripts that I use for various processes before the docs go
> into the build.
>
> The requirement shifted to having editable pdfs so opted for Acrobat Pro
> 9.0.

I don't know how much more "editable" PDFs from Acrobat 9 are -- or should be.
PDF is an output medium, and the occasional "touching up" is really all one
should do with the content of a PDF.

Oh, wait -- you're coming from 5. You're probably talking about the commenting
functionality.

(Garnier) That's right. The docs are circulated internally for review during
the various phases of the product development. Since the manuals are very
technical we get lots of written input during the review process. The Field
Engineers try out the different versions of the product and at the same they
also have access to the pdfs wherein they can provide their feedback and
additional contents. The final versions of the docs are always secured.

> Uninstalled distiller 5.0 and installed 9.0. For Manual conversion ?Save
> As? does not work as the tool is unable to locate the job options and the
> distiller instance.

Adobe moved the location of the job options files (with v7, I believe) from
somewhere in the Acrobat installation directory tree to somewhere in
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users. Just search your C: drive for *.joboptions
and then copy the ones you're missing from the old location to the new.

(Garnier) The job options are very much in the installation directory-
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Settings.

I don't know exactly what you mean when you say "the tool is unable to locate
... the distiller instance." As someone else noted, the name of the printer
instance has changed to Adobe PDF, but if you've successfully installed Acrobat
Pro 9, you should have that printer instance and it should be using a port
named "FILE:". Check Control Panel > Printers and Faxes to be sure..

(Garnier) What I meant was that?the Adobe PDF is set as?the default printer.
Still
when I select "Save as" and select the doc details and proceed to create the
PDF, Framemaker throws the above errors. Adobe PDF is very much there and so
are the joboptions in the install location.

I uninstalled FM and Acrobat 9.0, cleaned up the registries as suggested by
others in the list and re-installed FM and Acrobat but still I continue to get
the same errors as mentioned above. In short "Save As" does not work with FM
7.0 after installing Acrobat Pro 9.0. But I can distill to ps and then convert
to PDF without any problems. The generated pdf too is perfect.

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs AT gmailDOTcom
303-777-0436
------

      Looking for local information? Find it on Yahoo! Local
http://in.local.yahoo.com/