Martin Aspeli schrieb:
Hanno Schlichting wrote:
[..]
Of course we still need to fix the current Archetypes mechanism to work
with CMF 2.1. As we havn't deprecated it yet, we cannot brake it.

With respect to just putting something (the ftis) into the ZODB in order
to keep things working at a minimal level this shouldn't be hard and
I hope to be able to commit a fix later today on the plip branch
(just augmenting what intallTypes does itself).

With respect to continuing support for all the additional Zope 2 magic
which to my knowledge is mainly needed to support the ZMI, it's more
cumbersome but if we agree that we don't need that - fine (who of you ever
added an fti from an initialized but uninstalled product or re-added a
deleted fti not via re-install but in plain ZMI? If we can skip support
for that, then I think this is a no brainer)
So for Plone 3.0 (or maybe 2.5.2 as well) we would have both traditional
AT-based and new GS-based installation support with deprecation warnings
for the AT-based one.
maybe we don't even need to deprecate the "old" appoach?
As long as we can take care ourselves to support it?

And first and foremost: one of the main reasons why AT became
so popular is that it frees developers from writing most of the
Zope/CMF boilerplate code for products.
Now if this boilerplate code has to change, AT should change
but ideally the add-on developer, aka the "AT user", wouldn't
even notice (I know this is day-dreaming ...)
Hanno - you're a hero as usual. Thanks for taking the lead on this :)

cheers to Hanno! :-)

One further remark wrt Martin's concerns about GS:
in addition to what has been rightly said about active
profiles I think there is a further detail worth knowing:
profiles can be applied in purge mode (remove and recreate)
or non-purge mode (things that are already there are left
alone). IIRC at least extension profiles are run in non-purge
mode per default. Others correct me if I'm wrong.

Raphael
Martin