Benjamin Saller wrote:
It hardly seems like an issue at this point. I think the idea is clear. Ignoring what you may think of the technology I've been on other projects and won't be putting significant time into Bling. There was a time when this was possible but that time is past.

I think that is what we were all implying. The problem is not at all what you alone can and cannot achieve, the problem is that you seem to be in the position to need to achieve it alone, which places too much risk on us all. If I ever expressed frustration it was with this, not with you or the quality of your outputs, but I hope and think you know that. :)

I think its smart of the community to go with what they feel is well supported and the efforts of the Azax/KSS team are more than commendable.

Personally I believe that the goals of both projects, to protect the developer from Javascript were based on the climate of a year or two ago and that with the documents, books, frameworks and libraries rich web UI's are much more accessible now than they were when I started the project. Bling was (and I think KSS is) designed around the idea of making additive changes to existing UIs without requiring the developer to learn JS. In todays world its unlikely that existing UIs are compelling enough to warrant minor additive improvements without considering the entire toolset available to the modern interface designer. Leading applications are simply getting more sophisticated and require the same thought as designing traditional GUI applications.

For doing additive changes I think Azax might be too much framework but this is not my call. For doing completely new UIs Bling would be too little.

I think there are some very valid points here, but at the same time we need to move forward - we can't stay still and assess and wonder forever. I fully expect that our toolset will evolve, possibly quite rapidly over the next few years. At the same time, some things that are acceptable to Google Maps (you need a modern, JS-enabled browser for anything all to work) also face more conservative concerns in Plone. Perhaps we'll come full circle, or perhaps some of the Ajax tools will end up being baked more closely into Zope itself and therefore change in nature. Perhaps we'll rewrite Plone in Rails, I dunno. That's why I prefer to defer to the democracy and observe what the community seems to have adopted. Maybe for reasons of politics and marketing as well as technical assessment, but in real terms I think those factors are equally valid and important.

Wouldn't it be nice if we'd all just agreed? :)

Martin