I spent some time looking at azax/kss while waiting for valgrind runs to
finish. I have not looked at the azax implementation in detail, but I do
have a few comments on it below. I was pleasantly surprised by how
simple atazax and livesearch were. Since creating and using plugins is
what most developers will be exposed to that is an important quality.

Previously Martin Aspeli wrote:
> I recommend merging the Azax bundle *provided*:
>
>  - PloneAzax and ATAzax go away, being merged into Plone and AT or
> componentised further
>       - templates can be merged back - we should not ship Plone with any
> templates that override other templates in the skin layers out of the
> box! Also, these should work without a hard dependency on the
> server-side components (as I believe would be the case anyway)

The livesearch product can also be merged into CMFPlone.

>       - server-side views could potentially move to plone.app.azax and
> archetypes.azax or similar packages. There is a fair amount of code
> here, probably too much to put into Archetypes core and CMFPlone. It
> seems wrong to stuff them in the Products/ folder though, since this is
> essentially new code.

plone.archetypes? Has anyone decided on a namespace for AT? This seems
to be related to something I noticed: ploneazax duplicates a lot of
interface and zcml that Plone 3.0 (and 2.5) already have. This seems to
stay compatible with older Plone releases, but I fear that people will
be tempted to use those instead of the plone interfaces and that we will
be dragging that along for a long time.

> I would prefer
>
>  - If we used azax in lib/python rather than Products/ (I believe it
> supports this)

it seems to; there already is some support for it where it fiddles
around with sys.modules to be usable outside of Products.

So here is my new vote:

-1 on Bling
+1 on Azax/KSS

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    It is simple to make things.